Cottage Cristiano Osório | IMS Poços
We welcome you to Instituto Moreira Salles. The following audio tells a little about the Chalet Cristiano Osório.
Inspired by traditional wooden buildings of southern Austria, this chalet was designed and built in 1894 by Italian architect Giovanni Battista Pansini for Cristiano Osório de Oliveira, a farmer from São João da Boa Vista, and his family.
This kind of construction became widespread in Poços de Caldas by the end of the 19th century thanks to new financial and technical resources brought together with the railway (1886). It defined a period of major change in the city's landscape.
Over the years, the chalet was subject to several interventions. In 1989, it was finally acquired by Instituto Moreira Salles and since the completion of a careful restoration in 1992 it has been home to IMS Poços. The administration of the center, a gallery for photographic exhibitions and a café are located in the chalet. Its carved wooden architecture affirms a vigorous counterpoint to the back of its original land, where the majestic silence of Martinez Florez project houses IMS's exhibition and cultural spaces.
The chalet is now under analysis for listing by Council for Defense of Historical, Artistic, Cultural and Tourist Heritage of Poços de Caldas, CONDEPHACT.